Ricks Devon Moonraker 1z Tdi conversion

for questions and answers about alternative power transplants on the T25, GTi, Porsche,Subaru etc, this is the place. You must register to post but anyone can read.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

discipleofsketch
80-90 Mem No: 11538

Re: Ricks 1z Tdi conversion

Post by discipleofsketch »

pirate-pete wrote:
Air filter looks similar too - I used to get a lot of resonance though at about 100kmph which used to shake the room with an oven furniture. Quieter if I drove faster or at 90kmph so chose the latter. This is with standard CS gearbox but I now have bigger tyres (205/80R14). One thing that helped with the noise was to make sure the air filter did not rest on the floor of that void.

Thanks for the tip on this - I've now suspended the cone filter using an elaborate cable tie bodge (i'll come up with something better in due course). Only had a quick test up the dual carriageway, but it definitely reduces vibration between 65-70mph. Still noisy at that speed, but without the nausea inducing shaking :)

I've removed the piece of duct as it wasn't properly secured and mostly ended up next to the filter, partly blocking it. I'm debating the pros and cons of sealing off the whole void so that it only draws air from the vent rather than the engine bay. There are some sensors(?) in that void though, not sure what they are and whether blocking them in too is a good idea or not - opinions welcome! (Pic below for reference before I suspended the filter and removed the duct).

Former owner of 1983 DG panel van and 1983 Devon moonraker pop-top, 1.9 tdi (1z) conversion

pirate-pete
80-90 Mem No: 7945

Post by pirate-pete »

Looks like the swear filter has been at my post. "Shake the room with an oven furniture" !

Glad you have confirmed my suspicions. I've been trying to drive at a few speeds including some faster than I am supposed to but that awful buzzing from the hob grille and the sink top is a thing of the past since I moved the air filter so it does not touch the panels. Something I would like to do is see if I can fit a JX filter in there and get it all plumbed into the snorkel. Have been slowly collecting the parts but as yet have no idea whether this is feasible.
1983 Westy Joker HighTop, 1Z TDI Conversion

bobby-gg
80-90 Mem No: 11794

Post by bobby-gg »

those sensors look like your the N18, EGR valve and the N75, boost control valve

discipleofsketch

bobby-gg wrote:those sensors look like your the N18, EGR valve and the N75, boost control valve

cheers, so after a bit reading it sounds like I could blank off the void with those inside without causing any issues then?

I was thinking of lining the void with some kind of sound proofing and making up a removeable plate to seal it off to see what difference it makes (if any!).
Former owner of 1983 DG panel van and 1983 Devon moonraker pop-top, 1.9 tdi (1z) conversion

discipleofsketch

Re: Ricks Devon Moonraker 1z Tdi conversion

I've decided to resurrect this thread, as i'm missing Rocky, now he is SORNed for the winter (due to lack of funds), and I want to think out loud about my plans, engine related or otherwise.

To keep thread up to date, I did about 4000 miles since the upgrade, and it mostly went well, other than a failed waterpump and intercooler hoses coming off while in france this year. Oh, and a random starter-motor related episode, which went away unexplained, and a problem with the split charger (dead).

Worn plastic impeller, was loose on the shaft

New waterpump and housing ready to go in (non-OEM version with metal impeller, sourced by sarran1955 in france).

So, next on my list, things I can do without spending too much money, and need doing before I get it back on the road again:-

* Fit new thermostat (old one removed and destroyed during debugging of overheating episode in France)
* Fit a new thermoswitch in radiator and tidy up the wiring to the chicken switch (hastily wired in as part of debugging)
* Fit new voltage sensing split charge relay
* bodywork tidy up, including a coat or two of rustoleum
* Fit new rear backplates (already bought) and overhaul handbrake.

Less urgent, but on the list:-

* Recondition or replace starter (preventative maintenance)
* Box in the cone air filter and fit snorkel to try to bring the intake sound levels down
* General soundproofing
* replace door seals.
* interior spruce up (replace some of the mouldy old carpet)
* new ducting and rewiring of propex
* calibrate my aftermarket rev counter
* replace my boy-racer exhaust with a standard JX exhaust
* fit a new blower motor and wire onto seperate fuse

That'll do for now :)

discipleofsketch

Haven't updated this in a while (or my blog), Rocky has been back on the road for a couple of months.

Firstly, the bodywork has been tidied up, used a flap disc on an angle grinder to remove old filler and rust, kurust (just because I already had some), plastic padding and sanding and a couple of coats of rustoleum. I'm pleased with the result, even though I haven't flatted it yet.

The other handy thing about the rollering is that I needed some welding (panels above rear swing arm mounting) to get through the MOT, it came back with primer - whipped out the roller and gave those areas a coat less then 2 hours before we went off camping :)

I've also replaced the thermostat and split charge relay and tidied up some wiring.

It's running well, though boost is dropping off sometimes on hills, probably leaky intercooler pipework, which i'm in the process of overhauling.

Much more planned, but first, camping!

discipleofsketch

I seem to have been losing boost on hills recently, and I think leaky intercooler pipework might be the culprit.

Today I replaced the piece of plastic pipe used to mount the IAT sensor (salvaged from the donor car) with a very nice custom engineered piece from MV engineering. It all seems to fit a bit more snugly now.

Test drive up some steep hills tomorrow...

discipleofsketch

OK, so the boost problems continued, along with the occasional occurrence of the boost pipe detaching itself altogether (the other hose, not the one that now attaches to my new aluminium pipe), which plagued me through france last year. I decided to remove the intercooler to see if it needed cleaning out, and out of one of the silicone hoses fell a metal ring. This fits perfectly inside the plastic manifold to which the problematic hose fits. With the ring in there, the hose clip can be tightened properly without squashing the plastic manifold - I always thought that it was a poor design. This explains why it has been so difficult to keep attached.

I am actually waiting on a 180 degree u-bend to try the engine without intercooler, but with this mystery solved I may well just reconnect the intercooler (it was surprising clean inside).

discipleofsketch

A few hundred miles test run fully-laden on some of Devon's best hills at the weekend, and pleased to say all my missing torques seem to be back!

Not entirely resolved though, there were a couple of moments where the boost temporarily dropped off, but this time not accompanied by loud turbo whistle as before when the intercooler plumbing was leaking, plus it then went back to normal - temporarily went into limp mode? I could really do with logging it, but can't justify VAG-COM at the moment (my 1996 ECU isn't compatible with OBDII, so it needs to be the real thing).

ravskin
80-90 Mem No: 14768

Post by ravskin »

I've started a 1z Tdi conversion on my 88 Westfalia 1.6Td. I have a couple of questions.

Did you use the 1z exhaust manifold and turbo?

I've seen somewhere that i need to rotate the oil cooler otherwise the pipework is in the way of the engine mount. Is that something you have done?

discipleofsketch

ravskin wrote:I've started a 1z Tdi conversion on my 88 Westfalia 1.6Td. I have a couple of questions.

Did you use the 1z exhaust manifold and turbo?

Mine has a custom exhaust, it uses the 1z turbo, not sure about the manifold. An adapter is available to fit a jx exhaust (available from ultimate engineering http://www.ultimate-engineering.co.uk/tditurbo.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)

ravskin wrote:
I've seen somewhere that i need to rotate the oil cooler otherwise the pipework is in the way of the engine mount. Is that something you have done?

Pass. Someone else fitted mine, and I didn't think that tdi's had an oil cooler? :oops:

ravskin
80-90 Mem No: 14768

Post by ravskin »

Thanks for your reply, the oil cooler sits right above the oil filter.

http://www.myturbodiesel.com/wiki/oil-c ... ement-mk3/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

discipleofsketch

A little update on my blog:-

http://campervanthings.com/2016/06/16/where-is-rocky/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

discipleofsketch

Running better than ever and with an MOT until mid May 2017, reluctantly it's now for sale :cry: :-

http://forum.club8090.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=153169" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;