1.9 aaz engine rebuild

for questions and answers about alternative power transplants on the T25, GTi, Porsche,Subaru etc, this is the place. You must register to post but anyone can read.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Funbus
80-90 Mem No: 0

1.9 aaz engine rebuild

Post by Funbus »

Hi all. I've had my van 3 weeks and decided to strip and rebuild the engine. I thought I'd start a thread for the whole thing rather than clog the forum up.

Managed to get the thing out, by myself, with a socket set and trolley jack in a day. I've now nearly stripped it down. It's got a Bosch fuel pump and kkk turbo. Things I've noticed so far are-
- pre combustion chambers cracked
- cracks in between valves, they don't reach the valve seat
- turbo oil return went to crankcase, I think this should go to sump
- inlet manifold and valves extremely gunked up and look oily??
- turbo blades slightly move up and down but not in and out
- no 4 piston top edge looks to be worn-I'm thinking excess heat??

I know you like pics but when I try to upload them I'm told they are too big. What's the best way to get the pics on.

Thanks all. Any advice welcome and gratefully accepted

Funbus

lloydy
80-90 Mem No: 5262

Re: 1.9 aaz engine rebuild

Post by lloydy »

You need to put the pics on photobucket them copy and paste the IMG code onto here.
Will be good to follow another diesel engine rebuild thread (other than my own). oil return is definitely meant to go to the sump, and cracks between valves is pretty normal.. Good luck, and post plenty of pics :ok
Time is a drug. Too much of it kills you

Funbus

Post by Funbus »

Hi all. I'm struggling to get the valve stem oil seals out. It says in manual just remove with pliers. I've tried this and first the small spring came off and then the pliers are just pulling the seal to bits. Is there a knack to it or am I being a numpty. Thank you

max and caddy

Post by max and caddy »

They can be tight... There is in fact a side hammer tool for this job but its a bit over kill...I have a vw that consists of a pair of long nose pliers with a couple of collets braised onto it to make some jaws to twist the seals off..

Funbus

Post by Funbus »

Cheers for that. I got them out. Didn't want to go to rough at first incase I damaged something.

So now the head is fully stripped. Going to clean it all off this week and replace the cracked pre chambers which I'm getting from brickwerks. That will be it before Christmas.

Anybody who has already built one of these, what is the best seals to use - individual or a pack - and what brand is best?

Funbus

Post by Funbus »

Just took the pre chambers out of the head. Easier than I thought it would be!!
They are almost cracked fully in half so I'm glad they're out.

Just hope the new ones go in just as easy!

Funbus

Post by Funbus »

Cleaned the head abit more today.

I was planing to smooth the whole mating face with fine emery cloth. I was going to go across the face diagonally in either direction to make sure it was flat and any old dirt/sealant is removed.

I've just noticed that the area around the prechamber is raised slightly, but only the part within the cylinder bore

Is this normal??

Funbus

Post by Funbus »

Just to confirm.....
My cylinder head is not smooth across the whole face. The cylinder head face around the precious, in the cylinder bore side is slightly raised. Only a fraction of a mm.

I've looked at other pictures on google and they all look totally smooth. What would cause this and is it a problem.

Funbus

Post by Funbus »

First try at loading pics

Funbus

Post by Funbus »

So, I've ordered my first new bits, the pre cups.

Head is cleaned off so they'll be going straight in when they arrive. :D

I plan on replacing every seal, gasket and get turbo and injectors refurbed. Anybody rebuilt one of these, what's the best seals, gaskets etc to buy. Don't want to replace with sub standard parts and find a puddle of the black stuff on the drive after 100 miles.

Funbus

Post by Funbus »

I've got new cups and they've all been mixed together. Which ones are which?? :D

The new precups have little notches in them. 2 are to the right of the port and 2 are to the left. Are these cylinder specific? I'm thinking notches towards either inlet or exhaust valves ( due to the different valve sizes ) and this is why there are 2 of each. Picture shows screwdriver highlighting notch.

I've checked the 4 I took out and the notches are all on the same side of the port?? Hope this makes sense. Thanks in advance

Funbus

Funbus

Post by Funbus »

Cylinder head nice and clean with new precups fitted. There was abit of pitting around inside of injector hole but that's been sorted with abit of jb weld. Looking forward to getting all seals and gaskets in January to get it back together!!

:D

Funbus

Post by Funbus »

Hi all and happy new year!!
Time to get back on with the van. I've lapped the valves in and the seals should be here over the weekend so ill get the head back together.

I've been looking over the head and checking manufacturers specs from manual. It says pre cup protrussion should not exceed 0.2mm to avoid piston striking pre cup. I've measured mine and they are all slightly lower than this but on the side where the head gasket is. Will I still get a good seal on the head gasket??

I read that the precups are made of metal that's tougher than woodpecker lips so not much chance of grinding them down!!

Any advice at this stage is much appreciated by a novice like my good self :ok

Abyss
80-90 Mem No: 13111

Post by Abyss »

Is JB Weld really suitable for the repair you made in the injector hole?
I would imagine it would not withstand the heat and pressure?
If it comes out into the engine then it could do more harm than good?
1987 LT 40 4x4 2.4D
1990 Syncro 2.1DJ
1998 T4 LWB 2.4TD

Funbus

Post by Funbus »

Hi.
The stuff I used works at over 3500psi at upto 290 degrees C - or so it says on the pack.
If it doesn't work it's no dramas as it was a tiny amount. Worth a try though.

Any ideas on the best place to buy big end and main crankshaft bearings??

Cheers