any prep advisable before storing a tdi engine?

for questions and answers about alternative power transplants on the T25, GTi, Porsche,Subaru etc, this is the place. You must register to post but anyone can read.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

smokeyjon
80-90 Mem No: 2287

any prep advisable before storing a tdi engine?

Post by smokeyjon »

I'm just about to take the ahu out of my old daily before it heads off to the scrappers. The thing is it could be a while (maybe even a year) before it goes in the van. I just wondered if there's anything i should do whilst it's still running to prepare it. I remember being told that boat engines should be prepped for non-use each winter by squirting an additive into the carb to line and protect the barrels - just wondered if any similar prep was recommended for diesel engines?
I guess it's a weird question but if anyone knows of anything that'd be helpful.
Cheers
Now rusting away even quicker by the seaside ;-)

max and caddy
80-90 Mem No: 0

Re: any prep advisable before storing a tdi engine?

Post by max and caddy »

As such no...but the bores were a bit rusted on the sharan engine I have and It was running six months ago so maybe a load of oil in the inlet as its switched off is an idea..also seal all the fuel into the pump as they can stick due to gunge build up. Tape off the inlet and exhaust as well..

smokeyjon
80-90 Mem No: 2287

Post by smokeyjon »

Thanks max and caddy. I had the exhaust inlets covered but didn't know about the pump so that's really useful to know.
How would I physically go about putting oil into the inlet and what kind of oil should I use? Thanks in advance...
Now rusting away even quicker by the seaside ;-)

max and caddy
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by max and caddy »

A Diesel engine will run on oil so go easy...a few spurts from an oil can will be about all thats needed to coat the bore and valves.