New injectors

for questions and answers about alternative power transplants on the T25, GTi, Porsche,Subaru etc, this is the place. You must register to post but anyone can read.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

keith
80-90 Mem No: 5169

New injectors

Post by keith »

Just had new 216 HiFlo injectors fitted by mario at MV Engineering in T elford.

The plan was to just give the van the extra ummp to make the change from 4 th to 5th less gappy.

Made a very nice difference to how the van drives....noticeble increase in low end torque and throttle response...closer and closer to how a modern van drives.

Highly recommended if you have a 1z or ahu at 90 bhp.
1989 Westfalia Joker TDi
Discovery 5

Couple of motor bikes

max and caddy
80-90 Mem No: 0

Re: New injectors

Post by max and caddy »

I just wanged a set of Afn injectors into my 1Z and no other mods at all....goes well...not sure the fuelling is optimum for mpg but its not to terrible....no smoke either...don't think I would go larger however.

lloydy
80-90 Mem No: 5262

Post by lloydy »

i cant wait to try my .216's in my new healthy engine. they made a big difference in my unhealthy one!
Time is a drug. Too much of it kills you

max and caddy

Post by max and caddy »

They will...but dont forget mpg...it's a balancing act between power and miserlyism with me...

keith
80-90 Mem No: 5169

Post by keith »

drove it again today up hill and down dale in the Peaks....it has more get up and go....zero smoke....pulls from nothing in 4th......and keeps pulling even at low revs in the bigger 5th.

last month I had a boost pipe problem (pipe got squashed and wouldn't seal...which didn't help.) Mazz fixed my pipe and fitted the new injectors and it feels like a new van.
funny how little changes can make a big difference...

I think Mazz changed the IQ settings too.
1989 Westfalia Joker TDi
Discovery 5

Couple of motor bikes

lloydy

Post by lloydy »

Can't say i noticed a difference with mpg, although if you go round with foot to the floor i reckon you would.
IQ is fun to muck around with, little adjustments can make a big difference to the feel of the engine

max and caddy

Post by max and caddy »

I might meddle with my IQ settings...but once you have the power it's hard to go back...and even if it went the same I would be "no...it's not as good" I'm sure!

lloydy

Post by lloydy »

i found the main difference to be throttle response, almost feather like on max adjustment with my E pedal. But to be honest, i was only mucking with mine chasing how the engine used to feel

mazz

Post by mazz »

If you do alter fuel IQ try to keep it below 5mg str to help keep EGTs down, we use these injectors now on all our 1Z AHU conversions and they really liven up engine, we should be getting a few dyno runs this month
MV Engineering LTD
01952 581818 mveservices@hotmail.co.uk

ewenmaclean
80-90 Mem No: 7306

Post by ewenmaclean »

Hello,

sorry but saying you should keep it under 5 isn't correct - as what you are seeing is the reported value - if you put it down to 2 it will most likely smoke and get higher EGTs as the Quantity Adjuster thinks it needs to bung loads more fuel in. If you put it up to 8 it will put less fuel in as you put your foot down and smoke less.

When you raise the IQ it doesn't raise the amount of fuel injected at idle - it changes the reported amount. So if you want to keep EGTs down and not smoke you should keep the reported IQ to above 4 I'd say.

Ewen

mazz

Post by mazz »

I normally aim for between 4 and 5 Ewen I should of been more specific. Another note is to make sure fuel IQ is set up at normal operating temp,
I have to take account that the modified injectors are putting in more fuel then the ECU knows about and fuel iq between 4 & 5 seems to give me a nice balance between throttle response and smoke
MV Engineering LTD

ewenmaclean

Post by ewenmaclean »

cheers Mazz - between 4 and 5 sounds right - just don't want to go much below that or it'll start to smoke - above that and throttle response will be a bit rubbish and might cause more lag. You're quite right too - everything has to be to temperature....

Ewen

(P.S. your PD build looks amazing)

mazz

Post by mazz »

Sometimes I forget that I know what I mean ok :-)
MV Engineering LTD

ewenmaclean

Post by ewenmaclean »

No doubting you know what you're on about :-) I just wanted to clarify for us pedants out there....