From CT to CJ Engine

for questions and answers about alternative power transplants on the T25, GTi, Porsche,Subaru etc, this is the place. You must register to post but anyone can read.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

drandall
80-90 Mem No: 0

From CT to CJ Engine

Post by drandall »

My T25 1600 CT engine is nearing the end of it's life and showing the cracks with age.
I thought I'd take the opportunity to look into a 2 litre CJ engine. However, asking a few VW places it looks like the cost is coming in at around the £5000 mark, including the whole package...as you'd expect.
Now that seems somewhat extortionate to me...or is that the going rate ?
I am assuming that the CT to CJ is/was a common upgrade but cannot find anything about it.

Any help would be appreciated.
Daisy, Essex
1980 1.6CT Aircooled T25 pop top roof

drandall

Re: From CT to CJ Engine

Post by drandall »

What I didn't mention is that as a novice I fell into the trap of believing the seller's story of his love of VWs, he's got 4 of them, and got ripped off with a crapped out engine...
The rest of the van is great but I'm left with a hefty bill awaiting me.
Daisy, Essex

dugcati
80-90 Mem No: 3825

Post by dugcati »

5 grand?! :shock: :shock: BLIMEY! you can get a recon elite engine for around 2K!

What exactly is up with the existing lump? the CT engine is very similar to a beetle/bay engine so the common spares are cheap and plentiful (heads/barrels/pistons etc)
It is by will alone that I set my 'van' in motion!

drandall

Post by drandall »

Engine pretty useless, pissing out oil and a nice 'classic' crack in the early CT head !

Can get another CT engine with for just over £2K, fitted, with all tin treated and back to original but was considering CU/CT 2 litre which needs new heat exchangers, exhaust, clutch etc...

Was thinking start afresh and get as much mechanical replaced...which added to the £5K touch.

Not sure if the CT will cause me more problems in the long run.
Daisy, Essex