Priming Turbo

for questions and answers about alternative power transplants on the T25, GTi, Porsche,Subaru etc, this is the place. You must register to post but anyone can read.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

polish van ben
80-90 Mem No: 5120

Priming Turbo

Post by polish van ben »

Trying to fit replacement turbo to my 1.9 litre diesel - all info recommends I prime the turbo before turning engine on - not an expert in these things, so could someone let me know how I go about getting oil moving without turning engine on?

Many thanks

Ben

big red bus
80-90 Mem No: 3421

Re: Priming Turbo

Post by big red bus »

oil can pump in through oil feed pipe hole with pipe disconnected.

polish van ben
80-90 Mem No: 5120

Post by polish van ben »

Thanks Red Bus - I'm not sure I follow though - surely turbine will still be turning before oil reaches the turbo, potentially damaging the bearings?

I've read elsewhere that I could disconnect the cable leading to the fuel injectors and crank it a couple of times - could this also be a solution?

ewenmaclean
80-90 Mem No: 7306

Post by ewenmaclean »

Hello,

I think what big red bus is saying is to disconnect the oil feed pipe at the turbo and pour oil in directly to the cartridge - it should drain slowly from there when it's not spinning so the bearings will be ok. What I do is to use a syringe to inject there and then also down the oil feed pipe from the oil filter housing connection. If you disconnect the fuel stop solenoid and crank until the oil pressure light goes out then it should all be primed ok.

Ewen