VAG inline 4 petrol engines

for questions and answers about alternative power transplants on the T25, GTi, Porsche,Subaru etc, this is the place. You must register to post but anyone can read.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

ambivert
80-90 Mem No: 6378

VAG inline 4 petrol engines

Post by ambivert »

I want to replace a dead 1.9DG with something which is:
* not dead :)
* cheap to buy (used) guess I'm looking around the £500 mark
* more economical to run
* easier to get parts for
* more powerful
* easier & cheaper to fit than a Scooby

With reference to http://diamondhell.com/content/view/46/30/

A relatively simple swap is to go from WBX or diesel to I4 VAG group engines. These have been fitted to a bewildering array of VAG group vehicles and are available in many different flavours, most notably in this instance in 1.8 and 2.0 8V fuel injected configuration.

Where do I even begin looking. It is just as simple as finding an old banger on ebay ?
What particular engines to look for / avoid?
Which particular cars, models, variants, of what age, will those engines be found in?
How to check them to see if they're OK ? Up to what sort of mileage ?

cheers
Vince
1983 Devon Moonraker poptop 1.9 DG (early) lowered 50mm - Back on the road after 5 years of SORN!

Titus A Duxass
80-90 Mem No: 4475

Re: VAG inline 4 petrol engines

Post by Titus A Duxass »

In the wiki for a start and then search on here for agg or ady .
VW T3 GTi Camper 2,0l

ambivert

Post by ambivert »

OK, thanks. Will consult the wiki for full details... Guess I should have told myself to RTFM all along... :wink:
1983 Devon Moonraker poptop 1.9 DG (early) lowered 50mm - Back on the road after 5 years of SORN!

Titus A Duxass

Post by Titus A Duxass »

No worries, have a wander over to the brickyard -there's a sub forum packed with info.
VW T3 GTi Camper 2,0l

ambivert

Re: VAG inline 4 petrol engines - GEARBOX

Post by ambivert »

OK... so I've read a fair bit of the info out there... Still not totally clear on everything yet.

At any rate, one big question is bothering me...

What's the best thing to do about the gearbox when replacing a 1.9DG with a AAG/ADY engine?
a) Keep the original 4-speed stock gearbox, or
b) Replace the box at the same time, with the one from the donor vehicle? Assuming its something like a mk3 GTI

Surely (b) is better because then the engine and gearbox will be properly matched and you won't need to be revving the "Balls" off it just to get 70mph? The GTI gearbox is going to be a 5-speed isn't it?

Or... Keep the 4-speed box and fit larger diameter wheels/tyres to improve the ratio? That's not going to be able to improve it very much though is it?

Or... Modify/swap the 4-speed box with a stock T25 syncro 5-speed one (or whatever it is) ... But from what I've read on here (assuming I could even find one) the 5 speed box doesn't give a higher top ratio, just a lower bottom end. AND the 4-speed gate would prevent you from being able to use all 5 gears anyway...?

Can you offer me any advice on this one?
cheers
Vince

big red bus
80-90 Mem No: 3421

Post by big red bus »

you cannot use golf gearbox. any inline petrol engine you will need all the diesel stuff. mount bars sump etc. these parts are not cheap aand getting harder to find.

Titus A Duxass

Post by Titus A Duxass »

I put larger (5%) diameter wheels on mine but I already had a good gearbox (3H).
VW T3 GTi Camper 2,0l

ambivert

Post by ambivert »

Hmmm, so it would appear than even the 'easiest' / 'cheapest' alternative engine to fit is not going to be actually all that easy... or cheap...

I now have the option of dropping a complete 1990 2.1 (DJ, I think) in there... Surely that would be about as easy and cheap as it gets (except for replacing it with another 1.9 DG) ...? In fact, how different would it be ?

big red bus
80-90 Mem No: 3421

Post by big red bus »

fuel pump. wiring to pump fuel tanks are different. 2.1 has biilt in swirl pots. its all easy to fir though. or run on dg carb thats nice and easy

Ian Hulley
80-90 Mem No: 1323

Post by Ian Hulley »

ambivert wrote:Hmmm, so it would appear than even the 'easiest' / 'cheapest' alternative engine to fit is not going to be actually all that easy... or cheap...

I now have the option of dropping a complete 1990 2.1 (DJ, I think) in there... Surely that would be about as easy and cheap as it gets (except for replacing it with another 1.9 DG) ...? In fact, how different would it be ?

Drop a DJ under your DG carb/manifold, sell the complicated injection jiggerypokkery and all will be well. There are several threads in the Technical Forums ... '1.9 to 2.1' or similar where those of us who have done this have listed the job requirements (which on a late cooling system 1.9 are minimal) :ok You appear to have what should be an early cooling system ... more complicated but not beyond the wit of man.

Ian
The Hulley's Bus
1989 2.1DJ Trampspotter
LPG courtesy of Steve @ Gasure

Allanw
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by Allanw »

You won't like how slow it iwas with the same gearing as the donor car anyway - it needs to rev higher to overcome the HUGE frontal area compared to the puny wee golf :D
Allan :-)

'84 T3 Kombi, EJ25 DOHC.
Duct Tape can't fix stupid, but it can MUFFLE the sound.