The real up north

Where you go, where you stay and everything to do with getting there and back.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

flying haggis
80-90 Mem No: 14212

The real up north

Post by flying haggis »

Any of you crazy cats planing a trip up to John O'Groats or around the Caithness way,
Just wondering as I stay near Groats in a wee place called Keiss and see loads of campers headin north every year.
So is it any of you guys?
Spotted a minted syncro tin top last year man it was clean also spotted to foreigners (Belgians I think not English :lol: ) with two vans that looked as if they wouldnt make it out of tescos car park never mind anywhere else so there's a fair mixture

oorwullie
80-90 Mem No: 0

Re: The real up north

Post by oorwullie »

i was up there at an early age in me dad's standard ten companion.

pics are somewhere............ :P

last VW bus trip that way was about 17 or more years ago. but in a bay so ye wouldna want to know. :run :wink:
ochaye thenoojimmyhaudmaheedtillastickmabunnetoanit

Westy End
80-90 Mem No: 7733

Post by Westy End »

we used my van as the support vehicle in our lands end john o'groats cycle ride. Windy night at the JOG campsite but a great meal at the local hotel! We were hungry!
....========¬====¬
.../-/--|----||---\-----‴-----\
..#/__|__ ||__❚[\_____⌒ _\›
.|======|===[ ❑❑ΞⓦΞ❑❑]
[⎛⎞...|.....|⎛⎞ [ ‹=====›]
-⎝⎠\_|__ /⎝⎠ ⫅=====⫆⎠ (apologies to jed the spread)

lefty67
80-90 Mem No: 11783

Post by lefty67 »

hopefully heading up that way in August ( first time in camper), hoping to take a look at cape wrath and loch etive, plus a few other places but not decided where yet. any suggestions for the west coast?
1.9td AAZ

T25 - an adventure before dementia

richnat1988

Post by richnat1988 »

hi all, sango sands is a good campsite on the northwest tip,ullapool is worth a visit fish and chips are good but served in a box:-( and banf is always sunny on the eastish coast, me and her indoors spent our honeymoon on a 3week tour of scotland 2300 miles and planning a trip this year too. :D

richnat1988

Post by richnat1988 »

richnat1988 wrote:hi all, sango sands is a good campsite on the northwest tip,ullapool is worth a visit fish and chips are good but served in a box:-( and banf is always sunny on the eastish coast, me and her indoors spent our honeymoon on a 3week tour of scotland 2300 miles and planning a trip this year too. :D
oh and went over to orkney too,its well worth it.

lefty67

Post by lefty67 »

ullapool looks nice and is on the list, this is going to turn into a fishing holiday, better buy the missus a rod.
1.9td AAZ

donnieg
80-90 Mem No: 6323

Post by donnieg »

Hi lefty67 you should go over through Lochcarron and over to Applecross wich has a campsite or rough camp round in the bay and thr food in the hotel is great then go round the coast road to Sheildaig worth a photo stop then on to Kinlochewe and round to Gairloch.I can highly recommend the sands campsite 2 miles out of the village and great if you have kids then round the coast to Ullapool. It sounds far but it is a big circular with stunning views in places,

lefty67

Post by lefty67 »

donnieg wrote:Hi lefty67 you should go over through Lochcarron and over to Applecross wich has a campsite or rough camp round in the bay and thr food in the hotel is great then go round the coast road to Sheildaig worth a photo stop then on to Kinlochewe and round to Gairloch.I can highly recommend the sands campsite 2 miles out of the village and great if you have kids then round the coast to Ullapool. It sounds far but it is a big circular with stunning views in places,

cheers donnieg sounds good. this is the plan so far. Get to Glasgow and then pick up the A82, A85 then A828 to Fort William, then A87 to Dornie, pick up the coast road to Ullapool the onto Durness onto Tongue down to Lairg but still to decide wether to go back across to Ullapool or down to Inverness and pick up the A9 or A82, dont know how long this bit will take, only got 12days.
1.9td AAZ

Brian68

Post by Brian68 »

We were up around the west coast may 2012 and one of the best sites was Port a Bhaigh campsite near achiltibuie. If you look on google maps it just shows a field,but if your in the pub and had a few drinks it's great as it's all down hill back to the site .:ok We recomemend the beach which is signposted just before the site.
Brian and Helen