Hailstorm last Summer

Where you go, where you stay and everything to do with getting there and back.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Ralf85
80-90 Mem No: 4418
Location: West London - 1985 westie pop top, LHD, 1900 DF engine

Hailstorm last Summer

Post by Ralf85 »

A number of people at Busfest asked to see some photos of the result of the hailstorm on my hols last summer, so Ghost123 is going to add them to this message a bit later as I am useless at loading photos. Thanks mate. Photos to follow.
:)
Patrick

ghost123uk
80-90 Mem No: 2585
Location: John in Malpas, in the very S. W. part of Cheshire.

Re: Hailstorm last Summer

Post by ghost123uk »

Pics as requested by Patrick =

The Hailstorm =

The Aftermath =

Oh dear !

Some damage pics =

More in a mo...

Got a new van, but it's a 165bhp T4 [shock horror] Accurate LPG Station map here

ghost123uk

Post by ghost123uk »

More =

Is this a "Before" shot ? =

I think that is all the relevant ones, let me know if I missed any important ones.

p.s. = Pics "extracted" from Patricks Adobe PDF document :shock: :wink:

John
Got a new van, but it's a 165bhp T4 [shock horror] Accurate LPG Station map here

MattBW
80-90 Mem No: 11790

Post by MattBW »

Ralf85 wrote:A number of people at Busfest asked to see some photos of the result of the hailstorm on my hols last summer, so Ghost123 is going to add them to this message a bit later as I am useless at loading photos. Thanks mate. Photos to follow.
Patrick

A lot of cars got written off in Hinckley where one of my offices is by that storm. Some of the hailstones I saw were the size of golf balls.
1985 1.9TD AAZ -Starlight Interior
2015 California Beach

Ralf85

Post by Ralf85 »

I heard about the Hinckley hailstorm from the engineers who assessed my insurance claim. I was told several hundred cars were damaged. The one I was affected by was in a small valley in SW France. It lasted for about 15 minutes and the hailstones kept getting larger. It was just luck that nobody got seriously hurt. However, the worst damage was done to anything made of aluminium and plastic. So, tents were destroyed. Caravans and motor homes were technical right offs.

Having a van made of steel meant we had several dozen dents in parts of panels that were't vertical, but it did not affect our holiday. I was lucky that I had my pop top up. If it had been down the skylight would have been completely destroyed as they were on all the caravans and motorhomes, instead of being partly broken. Having said that it was a one off in 28 years of vanning holidays. I was just grateful that I do not own a motor home or caravan. I never appreciated how fragile their construction is. Hey ho if I go another 28 years without this happening again I will be very happy and by then very old!
:ok
Patrick

ghost123uk

Post by ghost123uk »

Ralf85 wrote:I heard about the Hinckley hailstorm from the engineers who assessed my insurance claim.

Don't they use the "act of god" get out clause these days ?

Ralf85

Post by Ralf85 »

ghost123uk wrote:
Ralf85 wrote:I heard about the Hinckley hailstorm from the engineers who assessed my insurance claim.

Don't they use the "act of god" get out clause these days ?

I thought that they might claim 'act of god' but not on this occasion. The insurance company agreed to pay up the repairs have been done and my van is looking spot on again. The coachwork guys have done a brilliant job.
Patrick