Search found 25 matches

by lowtimeppl
28 Sep 2026, 15:52
Forum: Mechanical
Topic: Noisy cruising ex-Army 1.7 diesel
Replies: 16
Views: 1677

Re: Noisy cruising ex-Army 1.7 diesel

If luck is on your side your transmission noise may be because of broken springs in the centre of the clutch friction plate. And keep the ABF gearbox? And today, I realised that in fact, when the vehicle is in motion, something in the transmission is noisy - grumbly, rattling, chattering..when I pu...
by lowtimeppl
25 Sep 2026, 11:16
Forum: Mechanical
Topic: Noisy cruising ex-Army 1.7 diesel
Replies: 16
Views: 1677

Re: Noisy cruising ex-Army 1.7 diesel

That’s a job for the weekend then, check the gearbox oil. Thanks. No heavy haulage anticipated, the most it carry is the rock n roll bed I have in mind, and occasionally a fairly small all in one kitchen amenities cabinet (removable) and two people. And a couple of Yorkies.
Thanks again.
by lowtimeppl
24 Sep 2026, 19:15
Forum: Mechanical
Topic: Noisy cruising ex-Army 1.7 diesel
Replies: 16
Views: 1677

Re: Noisy cruising ex-Army 1.7 diesel

If I had a van with that KY boat anchor I would AGG it. The hardest part is finding one these days. Otherwise its the well-trodden 1.8 20vt route, same block architecture "it bolts straight in" And keep the ABF gearbox?  And today, I realised that in fact, when the vehicle is in motion, s...
by lowtimeppl
21 Sep 2026, 19:20
Forum: Mechanical
Topic: Noisy cruising ex-Army 1.7 diesel
Replies: 16
Views: 1677

Re: Noisy cruising ex-Army 1.7 diesel

mioba wrote: ↑21 Sep 2026, 17:57 Have you checked your rpm at idle. Iirc It should be about 850.

To reduce the noise. Insulation. Closed cell and fibre insulation.
Good idea, that's in the plan for the volume, now just need to slow the rpm at speed. Ta.
 
by lowtimeppl
21 Sep 2026, 17:19
Forum: Mechanical
Topic: Noisy cruising ex-Army 1.7 diesel
Replies: 16
Views: 1677

Re: Noisy cruising ex-Army 1.7 diesel

Thanks both. I wasn’t being snarky in my first response just clarifying. Yep asking AI was just curiosity really to see when it came up with. A lot of it sounded sensible and lot cited this forum as sources. Anyway… Engine swap to a petrol sounds interesting in theory, I don’t have a workshop or ext...
by lowtimeppl
21 Sep 2026, 06:23
Forum: Mechanical
Topic: Noisy cruising ex-Army 1.7 diesel
Replies: 16
Views: 1677

Re: Noisy cruising ex-Army 1.7 diesel

I explicitly stated I wasn’t looking for 70mph and that I was looking to cut down the screaming. It’s not a panel van, I never said it was. It has factory windows, I said ‘bus’.
by lowtimeppl
20 Sep 2026, 15:28
Forum: Mechanical
Topic: Noisy cruising ex-Army 1.7 diesel
Replies: 16
Views: 1677

Noisy cruising ex-Army 1.7 diesel

Hi all My new acquisition is an LHD ex-German Army 1.7D (non turbo) and the 4th gear is (from what I have gathered) designed for towing and rough roads - so at 50mph it runs out of puff a bit, but mainly I’m struggling to hear myself think. Having said that, the bus has no interior at present so tha...
by lowtimeppl
18 May 2026, 20:50
Forum: Bodywork, Seats & Glass
Topic: Need someone to weld my bus
Replies: 7
Views: 20551

Re: Need someone to weld my bus

Viewed with a VPN. The usual suspects - front and rear jacking points/B and C pillar bottom ends, sills, fridge panel, lower edge of window aperture, step?, wheel arches, ... All looks very depressingly familiar. No idea of the cost, obviously. Know anyone capable in the North Essex/Suffolk/fairly ...
by lowtimeppl
18 May 2026, 20:49
Forum: Bodywork, Seats & Glass
Topic: Need someone to weld my bus
Replies: 7
Views: 20551

Re: Need someone to weld my bus

lowtimeppl wrote: ↑16 May 2026, 15:22
davidoft1 wrote: ↑22 Feb 2026, 21:32 Any pictures of the welding required?
Took a while but here's a link to some pictures of the areas requiring welding.

Replaced silly Imgur link with a my UK hosted website

https://www.archstanton.net/gallery

Thanks


 
by lowtimeppl
16 May 2026, 15:22
Forum: Bodywork, Seats & Glass
Topic: Need someone to weld my bus
Replies: 7
Views: 20551

Re: Need someone to weld my bus

davidoft1 wrote: ↑22 Feb 2026, 21:32 Any pictures of the welding required?
Took a while but here's a link to some pictures of the areas requiring welding.

https://imgur.com/a/iH9Tlwl

Ignore that nonsense, here's a UK friendly link

https://www.archstanton.net/gallery

Thanks
 
by lowtimeppl
26 Mar 2026, 10:26
Forum: Electrical & Instrumentation
Topic: Led 3-in-1 digital display temp/volts/oil pressure
Replies: 2
Views: 17395

Led 3-in-1 digital display temp/volts/oil pressure

Hi
Has anyone installed one of these (or like it) in their bus? It came without sensors but the fact sheet has some resistance figures
https://ebay.us/m/QGIPdc
Any information would be most helpful.
Thanks
Rob
by lowtimeppl
23 Feb 2026, 18:27
Forum: Bodywork, Seats & Glass
Topic: Need someone to weld my bus
Replies: 7
Views: 20551

Re: Need someone to weld my bus

I’ll upload some when (if) it stops raining.
by lowtimeppl
22 Feb 2026, 21:02
Forum: Bodywork, Seats & Glass
Topic: Need someone to weld my bus
Replies: 7
Views: 20551

Need someone to weld my bus

I'm really struggling here...I'm in North Essex/Suffolk border.  Does anyone know of a reliable, knowledgeable and capable welding/bodyshop who understands T3s?  I've tried contacting a couple of  advertisers but they don't respond or call back. It needs a fair bit doing in the usual areas.  The van...
by lowtimeppl
30 Jul 2024, 20:19
Forum: Bodywork, Seats & Glass
Topic: Sliding door lock jammed, can’t/won’t release
Replies: 2
Views: 2602

Re: Sliding door lock jammed, can’t/won’t release

Fixed this. I had to loosen the striker pin, and the hinge bolts, and it was a case of realigning the door. I followed the Bentley manual hints. Door opens and closes sweetly now, not as difficult as I’d imagined.
by lowtimeppl
09 Jul 2024, 20:01
Forum: Bodywork, Seats & Glass
Topic: Sliding door lock jammed, can’t/won’t release
Replies: 2
Views: 2602

Sliding door lock jammed, can’t/won’t release

Bought a T25 with sliding door hinge/roller assembly missing. Sourced replacement, took off door, installed hinge, reinstall door. Slid it open and shut a few times no bother. Closed it again and suddenly the lock (rear of the door obviously) that grabs the striker pin has jammed closed. Or more spe...